The baby quilt is still unfinished, the baby has been born. I'm so behind on that. But to be honest, I need to just set aside my quilting until I get my sewing room set up. Right now, I work at the dining room table, gradually spreading my projects over the dining room. Then the kitchen, then the living room and finally taking over the entire main floor. This is not ideal.
Additionally, Mr. Moose and I have been picking up random bits of old/damaged furniture at salvage yards and the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store with plans to make these things into usable, unique bits of furniture for our house.
We started out with three old chairs. We removed the upholstered seats, cut a piece of OSB to fit across all three and upholstered it in a brick coloured plaid. We then painted the chairs black and gold.
As you can see, the bench above is none of that. We got it done and did not like it. The original fabric we used, I'd purchased YEARS ago to make an upholstered headboard. Before I met Mr. Moose. We found the paisley fabric above in the clearance bin at Fabricland and figured we could work with it. That's probably about $5 worth of fabric. Maybe. I primed and repainted the bench in green and yellow to match the greens and yellow in the paisely. I like the way this turned out, but now I think I need to paint the walls in the front entrance.
While I was repainting, Mr. Moose was working on project #2. We picked up a 48" round coffee table at the Habitat Re-Store. It was an old, beat up veneer, but quite a heavy piece of furniture and exactly the size and shape I had in my head. What I want is an area in our living room where we can entertain in comfort - games, snacks, or just put our feet up and watch TV.
When we finally got the piece home and into our house, the base had broken. Oops. Clearly not as well made/sturdy as we'd thought. Mr. Moose has the pictures of this on his phone. So the base got removed and tossed out. The top has been upholstered and tufted by Mr. Moose. I had no part in the following pictures at all.
Ok, I lie. The yellow buttons were my idea to start with. Then I changed my mind, but it was too late, Mr. Moose liked the idea. I also took the blurry pictures.
Why yes, it still does not have a base of any kind. That is in the basement awaiting some final cuts and paint.
Also, hanging off the chair in that last picture, you'll see one of my next projects - drapes for the front windows. And under that, you'll see the pillow form for the pillows I want to make for my couch.
The buttons for the tufting turned out great. We're not really formal people and a little bit of unexpected colour is quite like us. At the same time, I'm afraid that my "little touches of colour" will turn into a garish mess. Which, admittedly is more like me.
Additionally, I have some Ikea shelves and a cheap desk that I need to get painted for my sewing room. I think I'm going to try to be economical and paint them the yellow from the bench. It should be light enough to brighten up the space without screaming "I'M YELLOW!" at you every time you walk in the room.