Monday, October 4, 2010

Adventures in Baking

I love to bake.  It's something that I've been doing since I was a child and who can argue with the results:  desserts, breads, cookies, and cakes - it's really got something for everyone!  And I'm good at since I've been doing it for about twenty five(ugh) years.

I still remember the first time I baked anything by myself.  I was probably 10 years old or so.  Mom and Dad had run to town and left my brother and I at home alone.  He, being the older and responsible one, did what any older brother would do.  Annoyed me until he got bored then wandered off to do his own thing leaving me bored.  And, apparently, wanting cookies.

What does any child do when left alone wanting cookies?  Bake them!  So, I opened up one of my Mom's many cookbooks and found a cookie recipe.  I was in the middle of making the cookie dough when they got home and while I'd love to tell you that that first foray into solo baking turned into amazing, mouthwatering cookies, I really have no idea.  We're talking twenty-five years ago!  I don't even remember baking them, much less eating them.  I just vaguely remember my parents' amazement when they found me baking cookies.

Some kids throw parties when left alone.  I baked and cleaned house.  Or farmed with my brother.

Today, I felt like muffins and I have a great, healthy muffin recipe I wanted to try.  I typically have the basics anyone needs to bake so I just take that for granted.  And I know I bought the special items for these muffins awhile ago - frozen mixed fruit, for example.  So, I get started and have oil, milk and vanilla in a bowl when I go looking for the required egg.  Uhhh... no eggs.  All is not lost, I know some substitutions so I throw in a bit more oil and some unsweetened apple sauce.

Moving on.  I have no sugar.  WHAT???  What kind of baker has no sugar?  Right.  The kind that's married to a diabetic and doesn't buy sugar willy nilly.  Luckily, I do have vast amounts of splenda (ugh) which is an ok substitute for sugar so...in it goes and I really wish I'd added sweetened apple sauce to this.

I also don't have quick oats, we'll try my multigrain porridge mix instead.  So, by the time these puppies are baked, it could be an interesting science experiment or a recipe I'll be proud to post here!  I'm leaning heavily towards interesting science experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment