Monday, October 4, 2010

Building stuff

About a month ago, I went and volunteered (with some other ladies from work) on a Habitat for Humanity build.  If you've never done this, you should.  It's so much fun.  And you know what?  I GOT TO USE A MITRE SAW!  Yep.  Me and power tools.  Love.  Since then, I've been trying to get Mr. Moose to agree to do a renovation, rebuild the deck, rebuild the fence, build a gazebo or heck, just let me cut random pieces of wood around the house.  For what it's worth, I get the love of power tools now.

And I didn't even loose a finger, hand or arm.  Win.

Growing up on a farm, I've always been pretty tomboyish.  I have an older brother.  I didn't play house or play with Barbies.  Nope, I helped him farm and build roads.  I wrote in my journal for French class about wanting to trick out a truck. 

Note:  I've never done this.  Nor do I have any urge to anymore.  I've never even dated a man with a tricked out truck.  I don't even watch Pimp My Ride or whatever that show is.  Just like other girls grow out of Barbie dolls, I grew out of my love for roll bars and suspension kits.

I have, however, renovated a bathroom (this is how I met Mr. Moose).  Before I met Mr.  Moose I had my own tool box and drill.  Now, Mr. Moose uses my tools and I sit by and watch (which sucks, quite frankly).  So, I was totally excited when I saw Tomboy Tools on the weekend.

Tools for women - fantastic.  At one point in my not-so-distant past, I would've scoffed loudly at pink tools.  Gah.  Don't patronize the little lady and tell me I need my tools to be pink to use them.  And PLEASE do not package up cheap tools in pretty pink colours and sell them to me as if you're doing me a favour treating me like I might be able to play with the big boys.

But today?  I love this.  I'm pretty sure if I'd had a pink drill when I met Mr. Moose, it would be exactly where I expect it to be (with a fully charged battery thank you very much) when I needed it.  I'm pretty sure my hammer, measuring tape and flashlight would also be right there with it - ready to be used rather than scattered around the house and garage.  And has anyone seen my Dremel since we moved?  Yeah.  I didn't think so.

I think it's awesome that someone has done this with tools.  I don't even mind the home party aspect of it.  I'm kinda considering having a party, inviting my friends with daughters old enough to play with the tools and having a mother daughter party.  I know at least three of my friends who've been divorced without the skills to do their own home repairs who would probably love this.  And why not get the next generation comfortable with tools at the same time?

Also, I want the pink toolbelt.

No comments:

Post a Comment